Skip links

Study Visa

Study Visa / Study Permit

Canada has become the number one choice for students from all across the globe. In 2019 Canada has welcomed more than 400,000. Biggest Reason for this is Permanent Residency after the completion of studies and quality of life in Canada. So, if you intend to study at a Canadian educational institution, you must apply for a study permit. Let’s talk about why Canada is so popular among the students and why you should also consider to Study in Canada as international student.

Reasons to Study in Canada:

  • Higher Quality of Life and Education: Canada is compared to the top 5 English Countries in the world and its ranking high there.
  • Affordable Tuition Fees: Lowest tuition fees among English speaking countries like (US, UK and Australia)
  • Study Permit can be processed as early as 20 Calendar Days*(If all documents and biometrics etc. is complete)
  • Post Graduate Work Permit to transition into Permanent Resident of Canada   
  • International Students can gain work experience and income while studying. 
  • Student can work for 20 Hours per week during academic sessions and full-time during holidays.

*Processing Time Varies from Country to Country. Below mentioned Image shows processing time from India.

Get your assessment

Alright, I understand some of you would want to know What is the Difference between Study Visa and Study Permit? 

Here it is:

Study Visa is issued to a Foreign student who intent to study as an “Entry Visa” in Canada. Meaning on this visa you cannot study in Canada. You need to Obtain Study Permit once you Land in Canada to study in a Canadian College you have entered. You will obtain Study Permit at Airport from a CBSA officer. Once you Satisfy the officer then you will be granted the permission to enter and Study Permit to Study in Canada as international student.

Study Permit allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program. You will obtain Study Permit at Airport or port of landing from a CBSA officer. All the above mention benefit applies to Study Permit.  Should you require ETA (Electronic travel authorization) or Visitor Visa, that will be issued together as well. Your Study Permit is Valid for the Duration of your course plus 90 days extra. You can either apply for Post Graduate Work Permit or Leave Canada in those days.


Student Eligibility to qualify for Study Permit:

  • Foreign National must have Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from Designated Learning Institute (DLI) in Canada.
  • Proof of Financial Support. You should carry enough money to support your studies. Living expenses and Travel Expenses. 
  • Proof of Full Payment of Tuition Fees for applicants First Year.
  • Proof of Guaranteed Income Certificate (GIC) for $10,000 CAD.
  • Proof of Valid Language Test IELTS band 6.0 in each language skill (reading, writing, listening and speaking)
  • Police Certificate and Medical Examination

Study Permit is Required if:

  • Study Program is 6 months or longer in duration.
  • Study Program that requires Co-op or Internship.
  • A minor is accompanying a parent(s) who is in Canada as a Visitor.
  • Foreign National is from Visa-exempt Country.

In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada:


Students Responsibilities While Studying in Canada:

  • Student should make progress towards completing their program;
  • Student must respect any conditions listed on your study permit;
  • Student must stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • Student must leave Canada when your permit expires.

Study Permit is Nor Required if:

  • If the course or program you intend to study is less that 6 months in duration.
  • If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs.
  • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act.
  • Minor Children attending pre-school or Kindergarten.
  • Minor Children who are refugees or refugee claimants or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants.
  • Minor Children in Canada accompanying a parent(s) who is allowed to work or Study in Canada, and will attend pre-school, primary or Secondary School (in Quebec CAQ may be required)

You Might get your student visa faster if you apply from Student Direct Stream (SDS).

Which Countries Can Participate in SDS: India, China, Pakistan, Morocco, Philippines, Vietnam and Senegal.

Student Direct Stream Vs Non-Student Direct Stream (SDS Vs Non- SDS)- Link

Why 5 River Immigration

Job Alerts

We provide job alerts related to your occupation and build employer connections. This increases your chances of landing a skilled job and being invited to apply.

Preparing Your Application

We review your documents and create your application for express entry. A complete and accurate application can get more CRS Score.

Tracking of Application

We communicate with government on your behalf and track your application status.

To know more about moving abroad to study and how to obtain Canada student visa requirement, consult our professionals.

Want to get your profile assessed?